Thursday, October 18, 2012

Seating Chart Grading Sheet

I hate homework.  In the 9 years I have been teaching, I have done something different with homework.  Homework quizzes, collecting homework, not collecting homework, etc.  I could not figure out a good way to collect the homework, grade it, and return it in a timely manner so the students can see their mistakes and work towards corrected those mistakes.

In order to grade the homework, I created a grading sheet using my seating chart.  When an assignment is due, I pick about 5 problems (sometimes less, sometimes more) to grade.  When the students enter the classroom, they grab whiteboards, markers, and erasers.  They also get out their homework that is to be checked.  I then go through the problems I chose, asking my students to write their answer on the whiteboard.  They are to wait for me before they display their answers.

Here's how it works:



















Each box represents a student.  The students name is written five times.  Each time the name is written corresponds with a different problem I am checking.  For some reason, I work bottom to top.  This means the bottom name represents the first problem to be checked.  If the student gets the problem correct, I mark out their name.  If the student gets the problem incorrect, I circle their name.  After checking each student's whiteboard, I tell the students the answer and we discuss the problem if needed.  This process continues until all chosen problems have been checked.  I assign each problem a point value, record the grades, and then file the grading sheet in my grade book.  I also use this to check whether students completed the homework for a completion grade.

Pros:  I really like this grading sheet for a couple of reasons.  It is very quick to check the students' homework.  I also can tell from the grade sheet with which problem the students struggled.  With this, I can discuss the problem in more detail.  I feel like before, when I typically graded homework paper by paper, I missed individual problem statistics.  I also like that I can keep this paper with my gradebook.  It also helps check attendance, so I can kill two birds with one stone.  

Cons:  With this, I can't check the students' mistakes since I'm just asking for the answer.  Also, I have to be sure that the students are not just looking off their neighbors' paper.  I need to walk around the room more and make sure the students have the correct assignment on their desk.  Maybe having the students switch papers would help with this problem.

What do other math teachers do?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one! I will use this with my students. I teach 6th graders maths at:
    Selective School Exam
    here in Australia, I'm always looking for new ideas to make trachite and learning fun

    ReplyDelete